Saga Prefectural Nagoya Castle Museum
The museum was opened in October 1993 to care for and maintain the special historic landmark "The Nagoya Castle Ruins and Encampment Sites," as a place to research and teach about the long history of exchange between the Japanese islands and the Korean peninsula, including the Japanese Invasions of Korea, as well as to act as a base for the exchange of art and culture between Japan and Korea.
Care and Maintenance Projects
The special historic landmark "The Nagoya Castle Ruins and Encampment Sites" are the ruins of a fortress built by command of TOYOTOMI Hideyoshi as a base to dispatch troops during the Japanese Invasions of Korea (1592-1598). Although the witness to an unfortunate history, they are also vast remains from the transitional period from the middle ages to modern times. With the support of the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs, the Prefecture and local city have continued care and maintenance. This museum acts as the central facility for activities such as excavational investigations of the castle remains, the feudal lords' encampments and the former castle town, as well as efforts to repair and maintain the stone walls.
Display Efforts and Education
Along with the permanent display with the main theme of "The History of Exchange between the Japanese Islands and Korean Peninsula," exhibits are also held with themes such as "Nagoya Castle and the Japanese Invasions of Korea," "The Culture of the Korean Peninsula," and "The History and Culture of the Karatsu-Higashi Matsuura Region."
We also hold "Nagoya History Lectures" to present the results of our curators' research projects, "Historic Landmark Visits" to present the results of excavation efforts, "Visiting Lectures" at community centers and schools, as well as workshops.
Since 2006, we have been holding classes on "The History of Japan and Korean Relations" year round in cooperation with Seisho Blue Wings High School.
The Golden Tea Room, built in the 16th century by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the most prominent samurai of ancient Japan, was used for tea ceremonies with diplomatic envoys and others at Nagoya Castle. It has recently been restored, and we are now offering a special opportunity for you to experience this historic tea room decorated in gold.
Japanese Korean Exchange Projects
Since 1999, a Coordinator for International Relations has been placed in the museum to support foreign cultural exchange activities at local elementary and middle schools, and to hold Korean language classes in the museum itself.
In 2001, the Japan-Korea Exchange Center was established here to support and provide information on exchange between Japan and Korea.
In 2002, an agreement for scholarly exchange was made with the Jinju National Museum in Korea. The results of research done through mutual lending of materials and dispatch of employees are introduced to the public through exhibitions and lectures.
1931-3 Nagoya, Chinzei-cho, Karatsu City, Saga Prefecture 847-0401
Telephone: (+81) 0955-82-4905
Fax: (+81) 0955-82-5664
( Google Map )
from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Mondays (or the following day if Monday is a holiday)
Year End: December 29 - 31
The museum is open January 1 - 3
Free (Except during special exhibitions)
Space for 7 large busses, 63 regular vehicles
(Lot use is shared with the Nagoya Castle Remains)
Handicapped Restrooms are available on the 1st and 2nd floor (The 2nd floor restroom supports ostomates)
Four wheelchairs and two strollers are available
Audio guides are available free of charge from the front desk for use in the permanent exhibition.
(Korean, English and Chinese languages are supported)